Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Crazy Birds

So as you may recall earlier this year we hung a bird feeder in the tree out in the front of the house for family homevening. I thought Jamison would get a kick out of seeing the birds.
Then I thought, oh lets put one right in front of the living room window so he can stand there and see the birds up close.

We didn't get a lot of action in the beginning. We had two blue birds that had a baby in the tree so they were keeping all the other birds away except the little family of quail in the smaller tree out front. It was fun watching the blue birds. They were pretty brave birds, as Jamison stands at the window one of the birds, on many occasions, will just sit on the hook watching him. Kinda like Jamison is in a cage at the zoo and the birds are checking him out.
Well the baby bird has grown up and we now have a ton of wild birds hanging around our yard. We have seen all sorts of beautiful colors and sizes . Unfortunately the peaceful little nature experience I had envisioned for my child has somehow gone awry. I can fill the tree bird feeder up in the morning and those little wild birds will have it all flicked out by the end of the day, sometimes early afternoon. And it is a pretty penny trying to keep it filled as you can imagine. So now it only gets filled 2 times a week. The quail love it, the just walk up and grub, no work on their part needed. But the most annoying and mind boggling part is that the little wild birds keep flying into the living room window. One day I counted 5 hits!! No joke. Do you know how disturbing it is to be going about your business and hear a loud "thunk" and then see a couple little tiny feathers stuck on your window. i mean this happens on a DAILY basis people!!!They are always fine. Sometimes they just fly away. Sometimes they stumble around on the ground for a minute then get up and fly around. Plus it's not like you have just a few birds hanging out. I tell you, no lie, I have counted up to 11 birds in the shepard hook feeder. It is like a crazy aviary out there. Though thankfully I am amazed that there is hardly any bird droppings. If there were the feeders would be gone. I just had to post about our crazy birds because I had just heard another one hit the window for the second time today. I mean how often do you think this is happening in a day? I mean I'm sure there are hits I don't catch because we aren't home.
Ahhh Crazy Birds. At least it's entertaining, somewhat unnerving, but entertaining.
P.S. Yeah I know, Just move the hook away from the window. But I'd rather listen to birds smacking the window than Jamison whining because the birds weren't there anymore. He watches them everyday. :)



No comments: